Friday, August 29, 2014

Interview with DOTA Caster, ColdBlood

ColdBlood from GameStah will be joining OnlyLogic as a caster for the Canberra DOTA 2 Tournament.  Having covered events such as ReSpawn LAN, ColdBlood will be lending his voice and doing his best to provide the users with his take on games.  Here to answer our questions, is the caster himself, ColdBlood.

Player profile
Name: ColdBlood
Age: 21
Current Team: N/A
Headset: Steelseries Siberia Elite
Keyboard: old Dell work keyboard
Mouse: old Dell mouse
Essential tournament food: Eucalyptus drops, lukewarm Powerade 

G’day Dylan, mind introducing yourself to the Canberra DOTA2 scene?       
 Hi friends, my name is ColdBlood. I'm super excited to be promoting esports in the nation's capital, & am hoping to have many opportunities to do so

We’ll be hearing your commentary in games at the tournament, how would you describe your style of casting?
I have an interesting of play-by-play prowess, along with far too much knowledge because I'm a big nerd ;) I can normally keep up a running commentary with a decent spread of vocabulary, then ask various questions to my analyst for engaging discussion during downtime. I believe Onlylogic will be covering the action in games I cast with him (which he is great at) so I'll be brushing up on my post-TI4 game knowledge so I can be theorycrafting what the Canberrans are doing.

ColdBlood is in full effect!
Are you able to tell us more about your shoutcasting and gaming history?
 Certainly, I began gaming veeeeeeery young with The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, which remains one of my most favourite games of all time. My first competitive gaming was in Left 4 Dead. I asked a friend if he wanted to play some versus with me. He said he couldn't because he was watching his team play a Cybergamer match. I had no idea what this was, so I asked for a link.

After an hour & a half of gruelling action, I was hooked. I watched as much L4D twitch action as I could. A few weeks later, this friend mentioned to me the team was recruiting. So I gave it a go, & they were impressed. I played with them for a long while, until the L4D scene died down. I played L4D2 with some other people I met, but not as fervently.

A shoutcasting friend I'd made during my time as a pro L4D player called Chrisis played L4D2 with me alot. He is one of the CEOs of Gamestah. When I told him how tired I was of playing, he suggested I give casting it a go. I did so, & it was magnificent. Left 4 Dead 2 has so much action always, that I developed a really strong flow with my casting.

As Left 4 Dead 2 died down, I was getting more into the MOBA scene with League of Legends. I begun casting that a couple years ago, & decided I'd pick up Dota 2 to assist the Gamestah casters with it.
Obviously, I really enjoyed it. I've been casting Dota 2 since August 2013. I started with Lich, & my favourite hero is Spectre. I have high hopes for the MOBA scene in the ACT to continue growing, & will contribute anyway I can.

Any reasons why you are not competing within a team?
There is a big difference between knowledge/ability to talk, & mechanical skill. Let's leave it at that ;)

Would you like to give your quick top 4 predictions for this tournament?
 It's going to be a close one for this tournament but in no particular order, my picks are Avant YMC, RAD, 4FM and Sydney Titans who look in fine form.

You’ve been doing work for GameStah for quite some time now, what’s the perks for covering for such a company? 
 The biggest perk is that it is run by some amazing guys that care more about the growth of Esports in Aus/NZ than making money. Far too many Australians try to monetise & bicker with others. Gamestah is all about the community, which I absolutely love. Since Gamestah was the very first Australian casting company which began 10 years ago, they are highly experienced & assist us with anything we may need help with. They are great at getting casting gigs because they are so sincere to event organisers. Gamestah does whatever it can to add to a tournament, not take it over.

The popular question, what can the Australian DOTA 2 community do to increase the level of competition in Australia to match that against tier 1 teams in the world?
 First thing is dedication. Tier 1 teams in all esports practice A LOT. If Australian players spend their time streaming solo ranked or sitting around drinking, they will never compare to any other scene. As the scene gets bigger with events such as this, it will become more viable to put one's full time into becoming a top tier team.

Next is professionalism. Australian competitive gamers are notorious for having terrible attitudes. It's ok to have fun, but constant abuse, swearing & mucking around are highly detrimental. Take a look at the Dota 2 International, or the League of Legends LCS. That is top quality production value. If we want to be involved with that, we need the maturity to match.

My last point, which ties in with the first, is commitment. Alot of Australian comps, particularly ones for fun or with low prize pools, will have entire teams not show up for games. There is some highly dedicated, brilliant Aussies/Kiwis who do turn up, & they shouldn't be punished by others who decide they can't be bothered. Imagine how we'd feel if a team was sent from Australia to represent us at a multi-nation tournament, & they decided not to go. I doubt that would happen honestly, but we need to stop doing that at our foundations, which are these small tournaments, so that we can be respectable at the highest level.

You’ll be joined by OnlyLogic as part of the casting crew.  Can you give us a preview of what’s in store?
 Onlylogic is a great guy. We met at the Defense of the Australians first grand final, in which he did a good job casting. I was there to support the organisers. We joined forces for the ANU comp a couple months ago, which made leaps & bounds for Canberra esports. We had some good synergy, & together we can make this tournament exciting to watch for all.

Will we see you in future Canberra DOTA2 tournaments?
 YESSSSSSSSSSSS

Dylan, thank you for your time, is there anything further that you’d like to add or any shoutouts?
Shoutout to Ragnarok & Domika, two Dota 2 casters who helped me alot when I begun the steep climb of learning Dota. Shoutout to Fredison Vu Tang Nuykhen for the top job keeping everything together. If anyone in Australia or New Zealand wants casting at their event, make sure to contact us at www.facebook.com/gamestah

ColdBlood interviewing at Respawn LAN.

No comments:

Post a Comment