Friday, August 29, 2014

Interview with DOTA Caster, OnlyLogic

A familiar face in one of Canberra's DOTA 2 scene will be casting the games for this tournament.  OnlyLogic has been covering the scene for tournaments such as MASCA Cyberwars and ANU DOTA 2 competitions.

Canberra teams will be familiar with his work and it was best that we gave a taste of what's in store for those who weren't.  To answer our questions, is Charles aka OnlyLogic.



Player profile
Name:  Charles “OnlyLogic” Middleton
Age:  23
Current Team:  None
Headset:  Plantronics GameCom
Keyboard: TteSports Knucker
Mouse:  Gigabyte M8000X Ghost
Essential tournament food: Orange Juice

G’day Charles, mind introducing yourself to the Canberra DOTA2 scene?   
I’m OnlyLogic, caster, general gamer and student at ANU. I’ve played Dota 2 for just over a year and have been gaming since I was 14. I stream weekly, game daily, but my love is in administrating and casting tournaments for various games, as well as competing.

OnlyLogic's literal interpretation of Blue Steel
We’ll be hearing your commentary in games at the tournament, how would you describe your style of casting?
I’m a very loud caster. I try to make even the most boring situation a fun one by pointing out every detail and commenting on it. I’m told that I can sometimes over-hype things but I think that’s necessary and can be balanced with the right co-caster.

Are you able to tell us more about your shoutcasting and gaming history?
I started gaming competitively when I was 14, playing for clans such as .S😖. and cbb in Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and Call of Duty 4 respectively. After a long pause, I took up competitive gaming again recently, playing for Biohazard in Tribes: Ascend. My skill wasn’t nearly as good as the past and I transitioned into amateur casting, doing mainly PUGs and scrims. When I saw an opportunity to join the massive bandwagon that was Dota 2, I took what I had learned from Tribes and applied it in the Defense of the Australians. I’ve loved it and will be casting for a long time in the future.

Any reasons why you are not competing within a team?
My skill level isn’t nearly as good as some of these players that have dedicated years into their games. As much as I would love to become a big competitor, I simply don’t have the time and my strength is in my patience and interpersonal skills, making me a much better admin and caster.

Would you like to give your quick top 4 predictions for this tournament?
Avant:YMC are a very big-name team in Australia and are my favourites for top spot. As for top Canberra teams, BoysBoys and RAD both shine in any tournament they participate in and it’ll be a close call between them for second place. I’m afraid I’m not too familiar with any of the other teams, but I hear 4FM is quite strong.

We can already see BoysBoys have a lot of love for you, so that counts as 1. Any other teams that are you familiar with in this tournament? 
RAD is the other Canberra team I’m familiar with. I’ve played with some of the players before and seen and cast many of their matches. I’ve also had the privilege of meeting some of the Avant:YMC crew personally at the last Defense of the Australians LAN I went to and I know their potential not only in this LAN but in Australia. Although I’m not familiar with the other teams, I look forward to getting to know the Canberra scene a bit more and meeting the players.

The popular question, what can the Australian DOTA 2 community do to increase the level of competition in Australia to match that against tier 1 teams in the world?
Australia’s isolation from the rest of the world makes it hard for any serious international tournaments to include Australian teams. The first step to fixing this is to let the world know that Australia has a big scene and wants to be sponsored to be able to attend these international events. This ultimately comes down to two things: Skill and popularity. Skill is rapidly improving and there’s no doubt about the popularity. All we have to do is let the world know!

You’ll be joined by ColdBlood as part of the casting crew.  Can you give us a preview of what’s in store?
I’ve cast with ColdBlood before and we work very well together. Although he’s relatively new to Dota 2, he understands the mechanics and balances me out nicely when it comes to overdoing it on the volume. Expect big plays, exciting casts and brilliant meta analysis.

Will we see you in future Canberra DOTA2 tournaments?
Dota 2 isn’t quite my game, but I’m massively in support of growing eSports. If I can be present in any scene that supports the growth of gaming into the eSport generation, you can bet I’ll be there!

Charles, thank you for your time, is there anything further that you’d like to add or any shoutouts?
A big thanks to my fans on Facebook, Twitch and YouTube for the huge burst of popularity I’ve had over the past week. I love doing what I do knowing people are more supportive of eSports and enlightened by gaming. Also to PyrenZero who, although no longer casts with me, will always be my gaming buddy.

OnlyLogic, keeping an eye out for Canberra eSports!

No comments:

Post a Comment